Support Your Fellow Blogger!

    BUY MY STUFF AND I'LL DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY!

    Buy my Photography Stuff!

    Do you like me? Help me buy my dream camera, the Nikon D70!!

    Email me!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Torrie. Make you own badge here.

    Credits

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Stat

Dr. Torrie

Ok, here's the thing. Being a Doctor's wife, I have a greater understanding of the medical system than most people.
But, I think some doctors have lost touch with reality.
Yesterday I contacted a spinal surgeon who was recommended to me by my back doctor. The receptionist did a phone interview with me, during which I told her that I can't sleep, I am in constant pain, and it feels like someone has set my right leg on fire.
Basically, I told her I was uncomfortable every second of every day. She seemed very nice and I told her anything she could do to speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.
She called me back at 10AM this morning, and I thought "Wow. Great. They really got back to me quickly."
She said that the doctor reviewed my chart and MRI report and wanted to see me at his next available appointment.
"Thank god. I can't take this anymore"
Then she said, with a completely straight voice "The next available appointment is July 20th."
No shit. That's what she said.
"Yeah, I can't wait that long. I'm in CONSTANT pain. I can't sleep. Besides the fact that I will be in North Carolina that day for my Dad's spinal fusion surgery (no kidding)."
"I'll talk to the doctor and get back to you."

How can any doctor in his right mind expect a patient who is in agony, to wait THREE WEEKS before they even see them? Besides the fact that, It's already been almost two months and my symptoms are getting WORSE. Besides the fact that, after I see him he'll probably send me for another MRI and more tests that we will have to wait for the results for before he even begins to schedule the surgery.
"Oh, it looks like we have an opening for surgery in the fall of 2006. Does that work for you?"

I DON"T GET IT.

Here's my advice, if you are a doctor and you deal with people who come to you in AGONY, leave a couple of fucking openings in your schedule!
What a fucking concept!

Also. I live two blocks away from the doctor's office. Doctor's get cancellations on an almost daily basis. Squeeze me in fuckers! It's not like I wouldn't be available on short notice. All I'm doing is sitting at home writhing in pain.

I'm a little frustrated. Can you tell?

Dr. Torrie2

posted by Torrie at Wednesday, June 29, 2005 |

13 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Unknown:


Girl, you have every reason to be frustrated. Say the word, Torrie and I'll go kick someone's ass for you.

Although, I don't think you really want to kick the ass of the doctor that is supposed to treat you (whenever it gets convenient for him, of course), but hey, what do I know?

Hey, want some ice cream?


12:02 PM 
Commented by Blogger Torrie:


Kelli, not only that, but my husband will be working with these people. Otherwise, I would totally take you up on your offer.

And yes, I would LOVE some ice cream.


12:10 PM 
Commented by Blogger Ern:


I'm so sorry things are so frustrating. There really is no reason for doctors' offices to be so impenetrable to the patients who NEED them. I hope they are able to get you in soon. *HUGS*

PS--your wedding pictures are gorgeous!


1:11 PM 
Commented by Blogger Joseph:


Ah sweetie...don't give up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. It is mind boggling how things work though. I just don't get it.

Hang in there kitten. XOXO

Great Big *gentle* Greenie HUG for you.


1:16 PM 
Commented by Blogger c:


I have never understood doctors who don't keep spots open for emergencies or rush-jobs, and who don't keep cancellation lists. Hell, my hair stylist keeps a cancellation list.

*hugs*


4:56 PM 
Commented by Blogger Cindy:


You may be surprised - if the nurse/scheduler is aware that you could be available they might call you when a cancellation comes in. But then again, if others have waited 3-4 weeks for an appointment, maybe they won't dare cancel because they know it will be another month to reschedule.

All of that to say, I empathaize with you. Pain is painful and one more day with it can be unbearable.

I wish you LUCK!


6:07 PM 
Commented by Blogger Nilbo:


You know whose side I'll be on in this discussion, but let me say this - almost any doctor I've met and spent time with DOES leave room for emergencies and DOES overbook and DOES have his staff actively working to fill cancelled appointments.

There are bad doctors around, but surprisingly fewer than most people think. Most of them are doing the best they can to treat as many people as they can and keep a finger in the ever-widening hole in the dike.

The good news is, the good doctors have trained and advised their staff to make allowances for people in real pain and distress. All you have to do is convince them. And it's up to you, because everybody's pain is the worst ever experienced by anybody ever. So ... you have to make sure they understand that no, MINE is the worst. Once they do, you'll be in.

Whatever I can do to help, I will. Mostly that will be making you laugh till you pee your pants, but hey ... I'm up for that.


8:16 PM 
Commented by Blogger Bente:


That's crap. I hope you get in there soon. One time my daughter was very sick and I called the doctor and they told me I had to wait until the next day, and she was only 14 months old! A whole lot can happen to a baby with a high fever and vomiting in 24 hours. I ended up getting her in, but I was practically hysterical not knowing what to do by the time they finally fit us in.


8:56 PM 
Commented by Blogger Annejelynn:


totally off subject - have I ever told you that you've got a cute hubby?


9:04 PM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


It really bites when you NEED to get in and cant! I'm sorry you have to go through this. I hope something can be done sooner.
Love and hugs to you!


11:41 AM 
Commented by Blogger Katy Barzedor:


How 'bout I go stand in their office wearin' chaps, pasties, and boots (and nothing else, naturally) until they deign to book you faster? I guarantee they'd scramble, and pronto!


11:55 AM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


Ohh, Torrie...I am so sorry! I literally went through the EXACT same situation three years ago, at the same time that Lori was diagnosed with cancer. I could not sleep, could not work, could not stand because of severe sciatic pain down my right leg. As time passed and the doctors refused to do anything I finally began to lose function in my right leg, could not feel the bottom of my right foot, and my leg muscle on that side began to atrophie!

When I finally convinced them to do an MRI, over a year later, they sent me to see a surgeon, who took one look at me as I wlked into his office and said "why did you wait so long to come in?"

I nearly punched him.

In my case the surgeon said he needed to get me into surgery that week, and even slipped me into the schedule in spite of the fact that his day was already full.

The good news? The surgery took my pain away instantly, as in...I woke up with absolutely no pain, and I've never looked back. Every once in a long while I get a shot of pain, but it is only a quick reminder to watch how I take care of my back.

Oh, you just have to force, force, force your way into that Operating Room. I finally told them I was going to go to the Emergency Room everyday until the surgeon saw me. I don't think they wanted to pay for that : )

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. Don't give up. There may also be a Patient Advocate at the hospital, so you might call and ask...they can do wonders, or of course you can threaten to sue. I'm sure it wouldn't cost all that much to pay a lawyer to write a letter for you! A letter from a lawyer can do wonders too.

Good luck,
-Cary


9:13 PM 
Commented by Blogger Unknown:


SO do you want me to come over and walk up and down the sidewalk outside the doctors witha sign that says "LET Torrie in you FUCKS" because you so could not do that right now? And I will!

BUt I totally sympathise. I slit my wrists in march of this year, on the 12th and was in a psych ward for 2 weeks. Then they sent me home with enough medication to last for 2 weeks and a doctors appointment for the 17 June. No checkups by phone. No councilling sessions. 3 months for a suicide risk to see a fucking doctor.
Luckily sometime in that three months I so totally calmed down and can't even remember what state I was in to do it. And it's not like I was in pain so I feel very much sorry for you. I am waffling. Ciao.


10:49 AM 

Seriously, leave me a message! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

coding by Mela, designed by Kristine!
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com