Support Your Fellow Blogger!

    BUY MY STUFF AND I'LL DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY!

    Buy my Photography Stuff!

    Do you like me? Help me buy my dream camera, the Nikon D70!!

    Email me!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Torrie. Make you own badge here.

    Credits

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Where I'm From

I am from bagels, from Parliament cigarettes, and Keds.

I am from the ninth floor apartment, from a busy city with doormen and elevators. I am from Central Park and the whale hanging in the Museum of Natural History.

I am from the jungle that was our living room, trying to bring life to a cold cement city. From tulips on Park Avenue.

I am from cooking in the kitchen and blue eyes, from Lisa and Phil, Mastrapalo and Bongiorno, and Bagur. I am from too many cigarettes and too much alcohol.

I am from the denial and hurt. I am from secrets and laughter.

I am from "marry a rich doctor" and "never give up". I am from "you can tell me anything". And I did.

I am from Hebrew school,and from agnostics. I am from choose what’s right for you.

I'm from Sicily and Ireland. From Eggplant Parmesan and Stuffed Cabbage
From the mother who kicked her father out of the house when she was sixteen and who has worked most of her life. Who was as much a friend as she was a mother. From the father who never grew up, never gave up, and followed his dreams.

I am from the boxes and boxes of photos, and the pearl necklace I wore on my wedding day. I am from stories about favorite cats and dogs. I am from skipping school, drinking hot chocolate, and sleigh rides in Central Park. I am from card games. I am from holidays on Fifth Avenue. I am from the adults laughing more than the kids.

I am from unconditional love.

I got this meme from Susie's site.

posted by Torrie at Thursday, June 16, 2005 |

11 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Unknown:


Oh, Torrie! I love yours!
I am from skipping school, drinking hot chocolate, and sleigh rides in Central Park

What a picture that paints!

I'm glad you did this!


3:15 PM 
Commented by Blogger Candy:


These really are great, I am glad I am getting to read and comment and not missing out on this whole thing.

Your childhood sounds exciting and like something from a movie, sweet young girl in the big city.


3:54 PM 
Commented by Blogger Joseph:


*sigh* these really are my favorite 'thing' that's been done on blogs lately, well, that and the self drawn SPD, those are pretty fantastic too.

You are beautiful!!! XO


4:00 PM 
Commented by Blogger c:


I just posted mine, as well!

I thought it was going to be much more difficult than it actually was. Once I got started, everything just came together.

It's been really interesting to read everyone's from poems.


4:07 PM 
Commented by Blogger Katy Barzedor:


You make me wish I'd grown up in a big city instead of a podunk white-bread uptight burg.
Your poem went too fast for me! Must be you fast-talkin' City Folk.


4:47 PM 
Commented by Blogger Squirl:


That is some big city stuff. That was a good one. I'm glad you did it. I see your comments on Bucky's site all the time but don't get a chance to get over here very often to read. Think I'll go do some reading...


8:30 PM 
Commented by Blogger Nilbo:


Beautiful. I'm with Greenie ... these are the best things I've seen in Blogland forever ...


9:12 PM 
Commented by Blogger Charlotte in Pa:


Fabulous! That was very well written. And now I can't wait to get back to NYC - only a few weeks to go!


9:57 PM 
Commented by Blogger Katie:


Very nice, Torrie! You painted such a neat picture of growing up in a big city. I agree with Greenie that this meme was the best yet, and I have really enjoyed reading all of these!


4:09 PM 
Commented by Blogger Whyme:


beautifully written. Well done.


9:07 PM 
Commented by Blogger Susie:


Such an exciting, sophisticated childhood, in good ways and difficult ways. You did this beautifully.

I am especially happy that you came from unconditional love. It's kind of obvious, though. You are so not a hater. Like I said, I've seen the way that dog looks at you. More unconditional love.


11:53 PM 

Seriously, leave me a message! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

coding by Mela, designed by Kristine!
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com