Tuesday, August 30, 2005
I had a funny little quip all ready to post, but right now all I can think about is the people and the animals in the south.
I am especially concerned about SFG and her friends and family.
I hope her house is OK and that she gets to go home soon, although there are some estimates that say New Orleans won't have electricity for 4-6 weeks.
My heart goes out to all of the animals who were left behind, who are scared and hungry.
by Torrie at Tuesday, August 30, 2005 |
Commented by grace:
- I feel the same way -- just broken-hearted for the people and the animals they had to leave behind. I always think of the animals, but feel like people often get angry when concern for animals is mentioned... as though there's a finite amount of compassion a person can have, and if someone is concerned for animals, she is somehow less concerned for the people. Though they don't have any real information now, Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) is going to have updates on their website: http://www.uan.org/ears/
- 8:34 PM
Commented by grace:
- Not terribly up to date, but here is the response by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/hsus_disaster_center/advisory_situation_reports_from_the_hsus_disaster_center/situation_report_hurricane_katrina_82905.html
- 9:04 PM
Commented by Diana:
- The animals are one of the first things I thought of this morning, and that was way before all the real damage started happening today.
I thought they were all in the clear, for the most part, til DH calls from work and says things are really looking grim down there.
Now I'm pretty much glued to CNN and such, hardly believing what is going on down there.
Keep seeing the same click over and over of a group being rescued off a roof, and one girl has her little dog - am assuming it got airlifted too!
Am wanting to donate THINGS - like clothes, and homegoods and such - that you Know people are going to need, seeing as they have Nothing now - yet, places so far are only taking money.
Let's send all our positive energy down there....
- 9:18 PM
Commented by Southern Fried Girl:
- Seeing pictures of the dogs walking down the road who were left behind just broke my heart. At least my babies are here with me safe and sound. Taking up half the bed. Generally annoying me. And I would not have it any other way. Ever.
- 10:51 PM
Commented by JessicaRabbit:
- I cant even process it, I keep thinking abuot them too, I told nick what about the strays? The pets in shelters? The pets people couldnt save because they stayed when they should of left.
Poor babies,poor people, poor everyone.
- 3:05 AM
Commented by Bucky Four-Eyes:
- SFG, I'm so glad you and your babies are OK!
I'm so broken hearted about what's happened, to everyone of course, but especially New Orleans. I love that city like a second home, and it makes me cry to see it under water with no sign of relief in sight.
- 7:49 AM
Commented by Weetzie:
- SFG, I am soo glad you are safe and have your babies with you!! I have been thinking about all the pets today too! :-(
Torrie, I just caught up with your last few entries...thanks for sharing! Depression and illness can be a bitch but hang in there! and LOVE to Mookie, Dexter and everyone! ((hugs))
- 11:03 AM
Commented by Ern:
- I also just got caught up on your last few entries. Sorry I wasn't more on top of it. *HUGS* to you. Thoughts and prayers to everyone in N.O. and elsewhere who were affected by the hurricane.
It is so frustrating not to know what to do. We don't have money to send, can't jump on a plane and go help. Just left here feeling helpless. Prayers are all I can send. And I always include the animals in them.
- 2:21 PM
Seriously, leave me a message! .
TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...