Support Your Fellow Blogger!

    BUY MY STUFF AND I'LL DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY!

    Buy my Photography Stuff!

    Do you like me? Help me buy my dream camera, the Nikon D70!!

    Email me!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Torrie. Make you own badge here.

    Credits

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Ten minutes to Wapner

So the husband and I just got back from running some errands, one of which was picking some stuff up at Home Depot. One of the things we were getting was a box of floor tiles for our kitchen. The box is very heavy and we still had to stop at the bookstore before we went home, so we asked the guy who helped us find the tiles if we could pay for them and then have them hold them for us for a few minutes while we ran our last errand. He said no problem, we just needed to tell the cashier.
So, we are checking out and we tell the cashier that we want to leave our stuff here for a few minutes and he says no problem, just tell the guys upstairs right by the exit.
So we head upstairs, with the husband lugging this incredibly heavy box, and right at the top of the escalator is a customer service desk.
We walk up to the desk explain the situation, and all hell breaks lose.
The woman behind the counter immediately starts freaking out.

"You can't leave anything behind the counter"
"But two different people told us we could, that it would be no problem"
"Ken the manager told me no packages behind the counter"
"But the box of tiles is really heavy and we have one more errand to run and we are not lugging this heavy box with us"
"But Ken told me no packages behind the counter"
"We wouldn't have bought the stuff if we knew you weren't going to hold it for us"
"Ken told me no packages behind the counter"
The husband then says "maybe we should just return the stuff"
Finally Kathy the insane yanks the box out of the husbands hands while repeating the phrase "Ken told Kathy no packages".

Oh boy, now she's talking about herself in the third person.

I then try to hand Kathy the bag with the other items we purchased and she refuses.
"There are cameras on. They watch me all the time in Atlanta"
She then takes out a piece of paper and starts writing down her name and says
"You call the company. They're watching. I'm in trouble"
She then starts repeating "Ken told me no packages, I'm in trouble. Ken relies on Kathy"

Apparently Home Depot has their very own Rainman.

She then takes my bag and puts it behind the counter.
I say "I need to give you my name"
"I'm not taking your name! Ken said no packages"
I'm a bitch, so I said "Wait, did Ken say no packages?"
She didn't even hear me. She was too busy rocking back and forth and repeating "I'm in trouble" and "Ken said no packages"
I was starting to wonder if I would ever see the items we purchased again.
"I'm not leaving my stuff without giving you my name"
"I'm in trouble. Ken said no Packages"
One of the other Home Depot employees who had come to watch the show wrote our name down on a piece of paper and slipped it into our bag and said "yeah, sometimes she gets a little worked up."
"Um yeah, you could say that."
We left and went to the bookstore.
We came back to Home Depot about 20 minutes later and picked up our stuff without incident.
Kathy was not behind the counter anymore. Apparently the people in Atlanta had sent Kathy to her padded room in the basement to cool off.

posted by Torrie at Saturday, August 06, 2005 |

17 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Candy:


Oh my god, I would so of not been able to behave myself in that situation. I would of laughed my ass off at her, really. It would of been ugly.

In fact I am laughing at her RIGHT NOW.


5:30 PM 
Commented by Blogger Katy Barzedor:


You just can't buy this kind of blog fodder.


5:30 PM 
Commented by Blogger Squirl:


Well, maybe she was on her medication when she interviewed for the job.


5:36 PM 
Commented by Blogger Ern:


I love that you said "Did Ken say no packages?" I would have had a really hard time not messing with her too. Too funny!


6:34 PM 
Commented by Blogger Caroline:


Holy crap!


9:09 PM 
Commented by Blogger Elizabeth:


Kathy called and she wanted me to let y'all know that she is fired due to the video tape of Dr. Torrie and Torrie giving her tile to hold behind the counter. Ken told her about the damn packages behind the counter.


12:09 AM 
Commented by Blogger Charlotte in Pa:


We need to get you a cell phone that takes videos. I would SO love to have seen that! You should have carried the box like 2 feet and then blamed your back problems on Home Depot's idiot "customer service."


12:13 AM 
Commented by Blogger Random and Odd:


oMG Torrie!

I totally need to come visit!!

How's your back doing?


1:10 AM 
Commented by Blogger kimmyk:


Be thankful it wasn't a toilet or a tub or somethin that you purchased. GOD only knows what you would have done to her.

Did she have a twitch? Sounds like she probably did. Scarey.


7:31 AM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


OMG. I'm cracking up! I want to go there...and leave a package.


3:22 PM 
Commented by Blogger TheStolenOlive:


I hope no one ever tries to give her underwear that isn't from KMart. Funny story. Thanks for the laugh.


1:49 AM 
Commented by Blogger Weetzie:


very funny story...I hope someone gave Kathy a sedative!


12:41 PM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


oh man, that was freaky!

it reminded me of that seinfeld:
"...jimmy's getting angry!...take your HANDS off Jimmy...DON'T TOUCH JIMMY!"


3:26 PM 
Commented by Blogger Annejelynn:


not sure what to say, except for anyone and everyone, we should are be careful to respect people like Kathy, despite how wacked out they may be - they don't have a choice in it, even if they wanted to. It can be funny, but shouldn't be mocked. I worked for an agency that placed people in jobs just like the one Kathy has - to get them out of the house, out in the public, to give them something to do. It can be a tricky thing, as they can easily get riled - but ya can only hope people will be understanding.


8:40 PM 
Commented by Blogger Charlotte in Pa:


I think that Torrie WAS respectful - during the situation. She then came home and here, on her personal online journal, vented and shared what she thought was humorous. It's possible to find something funny and still conduct yourself in a kind, respectful manner at the same time. I feel confident that Torrie accomplished just that. 'Cause that's how she rolls.


11:04 PM 
Commented by Blogger Annejelynn:


whoa - I didn't say Torrie wasn't respectful, although the padded room comment was a tad cruel - even still, my comment was offered more so a point of reminder, spurred by the other comments I read, more than anything Torrie wrote - what she wrote was an account of her experience and she didn't mock 'Kathy' - I only meant to make the point that we all need to be careful to note the distinction... Torrie, I did not mean for my comment to even seem like a criticism of your post.


2:09 AM 
Commented by Blogger Annejelynn:


Let it be known, I adore Torrie and I did not mean for my comments, even my LAST, to suggest Torrie is anything but the big hearted babe that she is!


2:52 AM 

Seriously, leave me a message! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

coding by Mela, designed by Kristine!
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com