Support Your Fellow Blogger!

    BUY MY STUFF AND I'LL DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY!

    Buy my Photography Stuff!

    Do you like me? Help me buy my dream camera, the Nikon D70!!

    Email me!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Torrie. Make you own badge here.

    Credits

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Virus=Very Yes

My computer is a big part of my life.
Duh.

I have found that there are two kinds of people:
People who read blogs and people who don't read blogs.
When I tell someone from the second group about my friends who I've met online they get confused.
"have you met this person, like, in person"
"Well, no. Not yet"

They think I'm crazy that I would call someone I've never met face to face a friend.
I don't think it's crazy at all.
There are several people who I've met through the blog world who I email and instant message with all the time.
Some I even talk to on the phone.
I only see most of my "real life" friends once every month or two and talk to them on the phone maybe once a week, but I "talk" to my blog friends almost every day.
Take, for instance, Tracy, she spent almost two hours on the phone with me last night helping me get rid of a major virus on my computer. AND, when she found out that my guilty pleasure is US Weekly magazine, she bought me a subscription.
Tracy is coming to stay with me in October, but if we never had a chance to meet in person I would still consider her a friend, and a good one at that.

I feel that way about several of you who I've met online.
When you don't blog for a few days, I worry and send you an email wondering if your Ok.
When something good happens to you it makes me happy.
When you're sad, I'm sad too.

Some people make fun of me for the amount of time I spend on the computer, and how wrapped up I am in the lives of people I haven't "met", but I find it very fulfilling, and I've made some real friends.

posted by Torrie at Tuesday, September 20, 2005 |

14 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Candy:


I understand you totally. I dont have anyone who I spend time with in the city I live in, all my friends are online. It just worked out that way, and I am happy for it because I have met so many wonderful people this way its just been amazing.

People like you.


1:13 PM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


Word. I feel the same way.


5:17 PM 
Commented by Blogger Closet Metro:


"I pretty much hate everything, except people I have never met. I love them."


6:45 PM 
Commented by Blogger Ern:


You just can't explain it to someone who hasn't experienced this crazy blog world. But I feel the same way.


6:50 PM 
Commented by Blogger Elizabeth:


Just tell your friend how all of y'all have rallied around me and Amanda B in our times of need. Y'all fucking rock - whether I have met youor not. :)


8:06 PM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


I'm lucky that Scott is a computer geek too. I don't get heckled toooo much. :D


9:43 PM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


OMG closet metro said it so perfect!

Your awesome Torrie!


7:42 AM 
Commented by Blogger Unknown:


Ok, so I'm reading your post and the comments and I feel like I'm going to sneeze and I get to CM's comment and have you ever tried to sneeze and laugh at the same time? It's darn near impossible.

Torrie, I totally get what you mean. I'm meeting some long-time online friends two weeks from tomorrow and I am SO psyched! There are so many terrific people I've met online.


10:18 AM 
Commented by Blogger ScottyGee:


Word up.

I count my blog buddies as some of my better friends. Even if I might never meet them in person, you can connect online.

Plus, my blog buddies don't come over all the time and eat all my food.


7:54 PM 
Commented by Blogger Whyme:


Amen to that!!

People who are not PC nuts, like myself and others do not get it. I have LOADS of people I have met through blogging, flickr, orkut and the like, people I would do ANYTHING to help if they needed it. Have never met them. Nope. Not at all. Would LOVE to meet them and if they ever want to come to Hong Kong, I will be at the airport, holding a giant sign with their name on it.

It's all very good.


10:23 PM 
Commented by Blogger diana:


As Kalki said so eloquently - Word.
;)

I'm still new to the blogging world (as evidenced by the nearly Non-existent comments on my posts, but, oh well... I'll consider it free therapy for myself.. though.. thanks Torrie for the couple shout outs you've given me ;))...
but, I'm NOT new to what you're talking about.

I met my husband online, almost 9 years ago. When I knew even less about the computer than I do now, if that's possible.
Also had another dear friend, who I did meet up with a few times, but our online relationship was Sooo deep - probably the deepest I'll ever have in my lifetime...

I love blogs like this - I've got a whole folder of "Cool Chick Blogs" that I check on a semi-regular basis... even if I'm not officially part of the community, I love to peek in on it and see what the rest of ya'll are doin'.
;)

.....I'm afraid to watch the news right now... that fucking bitch Rita! Hard to even fathom things even being As bad as Katrina - horrifying to think of them as worse...
sending good vibes to the Gulf.

thanks torrie.


2:21 AM 
Commented by Blogger Katy Barzedor:


I absolutely count my blog friends as "real" friends. The core of people I met at Dooce and still consort with online, and some of the folks I've met via my own blog, these are perhaps the best friends I've ever had in my life. Hell, I've even become closer to my own sister via blogging, so how can that be a bad thing?

Torrie - got some artwork I will email you tonight. Hope you likey!

(my verification word is "mkwwr" but I refuse to make war)


12:02 PM 
Commented by Blogger The Q:


I couldn't agree with you more! I haven't met any of my "blog" friends in real life yet but I do see it happening sometime in the near future.

Also, thank you *so* much for the update on Tracy over on her blog. I really appreciated that as I was really worried about her all last night.


3:02 PM 
Commented by Blogger Kathryn:


I so agree with you as well Torrie. Blog friends rock!!!!


6:29 PM 

Seriously, leave me a message! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

coding by Mela, designed by Kristine!
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com